Welcome to Southwark Bridge Class
A warm welcome to Southwark Class children, parents and carers.
Our Southwark team are:
Class teacher-Miss Oasgood
Class teaching assistants - Mrs Glenn & Miss Griffiths
Please feel free to write us a note in your child’s homework diary, come and talk to us after school any day or phone the school to speak to us directly if there is anything you wish to discuss concerning your child.
Recommended reading books for Year 4:
- A wide selection of quality books have been purchased for this class this year and your child is encouraged to take home a book every day. Each time you sign to show your child has read at home, they will receive a marble towards their team jar. The team with the most marbles at the end of the week will be crown team of the week!
- Homework will be set on Friday and due in the following Friday unless stated otherwise on the homework (A longer time will be set for projects)
- Spellings will be learnt at school and tested on Mondays. Please click on link: school-links-spellingjournalyear4southwark-1
- In your child’s homework diary, they will have a green stamp at the end of each day to show they are following our school’s ‘Good to be Green’ behaviour policy. If they do not get a green stamp it is because they have not ended the day on a green card or have received a red card during the day. You will be notified by text if a red card consequence has occurred.
This week is arts week and our learning will follow an arts theme.
- In mathematics we will look at symmetry in 2d shapes.
- In English we will base our work on Little People Big Dreams, Jean-Michel Basquiat by Maria Isabella Sanchez Vegara. We will explore the book using drama and then create posters and newspaper articles based on the artist Jean-Michel Basquiat.
- In music we will look at the music of Puerto Rico to reflect Jean-Michel Basquiat’s Puerto Rican heritage. We will follow a similar theme in dance in PE.
- In RE we will be working on entries to the Spirited Arts competition. We will plan and create a piece of art based on the theme “Searching for God.” We will also create an accompanying piece of writing.
Southwark Class will do PE on Wednesday and Thursday and Millennium Class on Wednesday and Friday.
This week our learning will be as follows;
- In mathematics we will continue our work on co-ordinates.
- In English we will begin by exploring The Tin Forest by Helen Ward and Wayne Anderson using drama. We will then work towards writing our own page which will be illustrated in the style of Wayne Anderson.
- In science we will investigate how some material change state when heated or cooled.
- In geography we will continue our work around the water cycle.
- In RHE we will look at the thinking traps which can be unhelpful. We will also discuss puberty with a girls only group.
Millennium Class will do PE on Wednesday and Friday and Southwark Class on on Wednesday and Thursday.