Welcome to Southwark Bridge Class
A warm welcome to Howard Primary School’s newest class-Southwark Class children, parents and carers.
Our Southwark team are:
Class teacher-Miss Turpie
Class teaching assistants - Mrs Khmurovska and Mr Swaby
Please feel free to write us a note in your child’s homework diary, come and talk to us after school any day or phone the school to speak to us directly if there is anything you wish to discuss concerning your child.
- A wide selection of quality books have been purchased for this class this year and your child is encouraged to take home a book every day. Each time you sign to show your child has read at home, they will receive a marble towards their team jar. The team with the most marbles at the end of the week will be crown team of the week!
- Homework will be set on Friday and due in the following Friday unless stated otherwise on the homework (A longer time will be set for projects)
- Spellings will be learnt at school and tested on Mondays. Please click on link: school-links-spellingjournalyear4southwark-1
- In your child’s homework diary, they will have a green stamp at the end of each day to show they are following our school’s ‘Good to be Green’ behaviour policy. If they do not get a green stamp it is because they have not ended the day on a green card or have received a red card during the day. You will be notified by text if a red card consequence has occurred.
As we are coming to the end of term, Monday 15th and Tuesday 16th will be our last P.E lessons so please remember your P.E kits.
We will be blocking our Science and D&T lessons next week to complete our electricity and toy design projects. If you have any toys which use electrical circuits , for example the board game Operation which you would not mind the children playing with as part of this topic please can you send them in in named boxes on Monday and Tuesday.
In addition, we will be completing our Ancient Egyptian topic. The children very much enjoyed mummifying a tomato this week (photos to follow)
Our dress up as an Ancient Egyptian day will be held on Monday 22nd of July. Please do not worry about buying your child a fancy dress outfit. Every child has made a beautiful Egyptian mask which they can wear with their own clothes if you would prefer.
We will also be having our End of Year Party on this day. Please can your child bring a small contribution to share on this day. This will be shared between the two classes. To ensure we have a selection please can Millennium bring something sweet and Southwark class something savoury. We are a nut free school. As we have some children with food allergies in the classes, please could homemade food be labelled with the ingredients. Thank you.
In Southwark, Merit cards this week went to Chaimae, Armaan and Daisy. Daisy was also our final Reader of the week.
James. Aryan, Keona and Sofia all received merit cards from Millennium class. Well done!
This week our learning will be as follows;
- In mathematics we will consolidating our year 3 learning about time. Focusing on telling the time to the nearest minute and converting units of time.
- In English we will be continuing our class text-The Wolves of Willoughby Chase.
- In science we will learn about electrical circuits and naming the components.
- In topic time we will learn about mummification.
- In R.E we will be continuing Judaism.
A huge congratulations to Junaid who made it through to the sprint final at Croydon Arena last week as well as Bianca who made it to the semis.