Welcome to Southwark Bridge Class
A warm welcome to Howard Primary School’s newest class-Southwark Class children, parents and carers.
Our Southwark team are:
Class teacher-Miss Turpie
Class teaching assistants - Miss Marshall and Mrs Edgeler
Please feel free to write us a note in your child’s homework diary, come and talk to us after school any day or phone the school to speak to us directly if there is anything you wish to discuss concerning your child.
- A wide selection of quality books have been purchased for this class this year and your child is encouraged to take home a book every day. Each time you sign to show your child has read at home, they will receive a marble towards their team jar. The team with the most marbles at the end of the week will be crown team of the week!
- Homework will be set on Friday and due in the following Friday unless stated otherwise on the homework (A longer time will be set for projects)
- Spellings will be learnt at school and tested on Mondays. Please click on link: school-links-spellingjournalyear4southwark-1
- In your child’s homework diary, they will have a green stamp at the end of each day to show they are following our school’s ‘Good to be Green’ behaviour policy. If they do not get a green stamp it is because they have not ended the day on a green card or have received a red card during the day. You will be notified by text if a red card consequence has occurred.
The children are continuing to work hard in year 4. This week our learning will be as follows;
- In Maths this week we will continue our work on place value. We will be counting in 25s and looking at negative numbers as well as Roman Numerals to 100.
- In English we continue our work around the book Noah Barleywater Runs Away by John Boyne. The children will write a newspaper report and enjoy poetry based on the book
- In Guided reading we will read daily in small groups. It is planned that each group of children will read with an adult on two days each week and work on an independent activity on the other two days. We are also listening to a new class book, The Girl Who Stole an Elephant by Nizrana Farook.
- In History we will learn about the life in Anglo-Saxon villages.
- In RE we will continue a unit of work on Judaism.
- In PE children will learn basketball skills each Wednesday. They should come to school in PE kit on Wednesday.
All parents will have received an email last week with information on Google Classroom. The children will have brought home their log-in details which they have stuck inside their homework diary. The work set on Google Classroom is intended for children who are self isolating and need to work at home.
We are not currently sending worksheets home. Homework is set weekly on Google Classroom.
Children should also concentrate on the following learning at home if you have time;
- Reading- The children should be reading regularly at home. Parents are asked to sign off their reading record daily to gain dojo points for home reading Children have also been allocated a book on the reading planet website which has associated comprehension questions and quizzes. They have been given log-in details (in their homework diaries).
- Times Tables – Children are asked to practise the times table which they have been allocated and will be tested each Wednesday. They can practise using Times Table Rockstars, using the log-in details in their homework diaries or Hit the Button.
- Mathletics – Work is set on Mathletics and children should continue to use this website regularly.
Welcome to Year 4 2020!
You will have received your Google Classroom logins, passwords and class codes if you were at school on Friday. Please open up your accounts as we will be setting all homework activities and home learning for you if you are self isolating on this platform rather than on Class Dojo and the blog from now on.
Please contact us on the following email address if you have any questions or queries about homework or home learning.
Have a great weekend. The Year Four team.